The Student Government Association (SGA) held its weekly General Body Meeting (GBM) on Oct. 4 to discuss a resolution calling for a homework-free fall break and the Presidential Appointment Amendment.
Fall Break Resolution
Junior Class Senator Shalala Leny and Freshman Class Senator Amy Li introduced the Fall Break Resolution, which requests professors limit the amount of work they assign students before and after fall break.
- Li added that SGA attempted a similar resolution last year, but it did not work out because of its late proposal. Li stated that “this is why we’re proposing [the Fall Break Resolution] relatively early.”
- The resolution emphasizes the importance of school-life balance for students’ health and academic performance. It also requests that a survey allowing students to anonymously report professors who assign homework over the break be implemented.
- The resolution passed unanimously.
Presidential Appointment Amendment
Sophomore Class President Ryan Chou presented the Presidential Appointment Amendment, which amends the SGA bylaws to allow class presidents to appoint and direct representatives in an Office of the Class President.
- Chou discussed the amendments’ simplicity, stating that “it just adds three extra lines to [bylaws section ‘184.108.40.206 Class Presidents].”
- The bill passed unanimously.
Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi) Haunted House Funding
Chou motioned to suspend the bylaws in order to discuss the time-sensitive AEPi haunted house funding, which was not proposed at the beginning of the meeting. The motion was withdrawn due to the funding not being a major issue and was tabled for discussion at the next GBM.