May 5, 2024

Editor-in-Chief of Towson student paper resigns after sex column uproar

The editor-in-chief of The Towerlight, Towson University's student newspaper, has resigned after the contents of a sex column sparked a clash between the paper and Towson's president.

Editor-in-Chief Carrie Wood officially submitted her resignation last Friday.

In her letter of resignation, Wood wrote that she regretted publishing the column, and hoped her resignation would "reduce tensions between The Towerlight and the administration."

The sex column, "The Bed Post," was published under the pseudonym "Lux." The most recent column detailed techniques for mutual masturbation.

Towson University President Robert Caret compared the content of the column to that of a pornographic magazine.

"Sex as a topic is one thing, but tabloid journalism is not what we should be offering our readership," he wrote in a letter-to-the-editor published in the paper on Sept. 24.

Though Wood wrote that she felt she had mishandled the situation, she wrote in her statement of resignation that Caret had sent "intimidating, patronizing and bullying" e-mails to her personal account - copies of which were also sent to Towson officials, including the university's lawyer.

Wood, Caret and The Towerlight have all declined to make the emails public.

Caret told editors at the paper that he would consider removing university advertising from the paper because "I'm not going to advertise in Playboy or Hustler either," he said to the Baltimore Sun. Though The Towerlight is an independent student newspaper, they rely upon university advertising and lease space for their offices.

In a statement, the editorial board of The Towerlight wrote that while "The Bed Post" will no longer run in the print edition, it may continue online. Wood will also continue on as a reporter.

The board stood behind the content of the column, but said it will insist upon reporters and columnists using their actual names.

University of North Dakota struggles to keep "Fighting Sioux" nickname

The University of North Dakota will keep its controversial athletics nickname - for now.

The state's Board of Higher education has granted the Unviversity more time to get approval for its "Fighting Sioux" nickname from a Sioux tribe.

A NCAA policy enacted in 2006 has banned the use of Native American imagery, mascots or nicknames in collegiate sports.

The University of North Dakota sued, and as part of the settlement the NCAA agreed they could keep the nickname if two Sioux tribes would grant teir approval.

The University now has until the end of the month to get approval from one more tribe.

92 percent of colleges report cases of H1N1

As of yesterday, around 92 percent of all college campuses in the U.S. have reported suspected cases of swine flu to the American College Health Association.

More than 6,000 new cases have been reported this week. There were no reported deaths, but nine students were hospitalized.

A total of 273 colleges - with a combined total 3.3 million students - reported their findings.

States in the Mid-Atlantic region, including Maryland, have reported the highest rates of swine flu activity, with 1,274 new cases just this week.

Though Maryland reported an additional 120 cases, this is actually a 62 percent decrease in the attack rate from last week

Fewer American colleges in recent ranking of top universities

There were fewer American colleges in the most recent world ranking of top colleges.

A total of 32 American universities appear on the top 100 of the 2009 Times Higher Education-QS World University Rankings, down from 37 last year.

Hopkins maintained the same 13th place ranking as last year, and Harvard maintained its spot atop the list.

The ranking saw an increase in the number of universities based in Asian countries.

The prestigious Oxford University fell to fifth place, and was outranked by fellow British institution, the University College London.

University of South Florida on lockdown after bomb threat, campus intruder

The University of South Florida was on lockdown Monday after two separate reports of a bomb threat and an armed intruder.

Campus police were alerted of the presence of a man around the campus library who was allegedly armed with a bomb and a gun.

Though he was not at the scene when they arrived, police soon located the suspect on University transportation.

There was a second, unrelated incident involving a man on campus who was carrying a hunting knife and a puppy, according to campus security.

The University utilized its text message and siren alert systems to warn students about the incidents.

Both men are in custody. Police do not believe that the incidents are related.

Jackson State U. band members suspended for hazing incidents

Nearly 30 members of the student band at Jackson State University have received two-year school suspensions for their roles in the violent hazing of freshmen members.

The new members of the band were reportedly beaten with wooden boards, beer bottles, paddles and other implements.

One student dislocated his shoulder, but no other serious injuries were reported.

As a result of the 27 suspensions, the band has lost nearly half of its percussion section.

The band will continue to play in halftime shows and at other events.

University of Florida removes zombie attack plans from its disaster recovery Web site

Fear not, University of Florida students: your administration is prepared to handle any disaster. Including zombies.

At least, that's what the UF e-Learning Support Services Web site used to say.

Included alongside plans for dealing with hurricanes and pandemics was a plan for how to deal with an outbreak of zombies on campus.

After media reports publicized the presence of such plans, the "disaster recovery exercises have been removed at the instruction of UF Administration" according to the Web site.

The plans were taken down last Thursday.The plan advised employees to use weapons "such as chain saws, baseball bats and explosives" when facing off against "flesh-eating, apparently life impaired individuals."

According to comments made by a University of Florida spokesperson, the plans were meant to be a joke, and the employee who wrote them was not punished.

No zombies could be reached for comment before press time.

Resident advisor at Georgia college claims to have performed an exorcism

Berry College is investigating allegations that Nathan Mallory, a resident advisor in the dormitories, performed an exorcism last month.

Mallory, a junior, allegedly sent out emails to other students detailing the exorcism.

The Georgia college told the press that it did not sanction the exorcism.Mallory has been removed from his resident advisor position.