The Student Government Association (SGA) met on Feb. 22 for its weekly meeting. It discussed its plans for National Rare Disease Day and confirmed new members to the Communications and Marketing Commission (CMC) and the Women and Gender Minorities Caucus (WGMC).
Rare Disease Day Panel
Junior Class President Talia Shadroui discussed an event planned for Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. in honor of National Rare Disease Day.
- The event will take place with AI captioning available. A panel of Hopkins students will be sharing experiences living with rare diseases.
- Shadroui noted that the event will have a diverse array of panelists who have a variety of rare disorders caused by internal or external factors. The panel will include individuals diagnosed at infancy or much later in life.
- Shadroui emphasized that those with disabilities are often marginalized and those with rare diseases have little to no representation.
SGA confirmed three new members of the CMC.
- Freshman Emily Xie was confirmed as a photographer.
- Freshman Jiwoo Noh, who has prior experience as a web designer and graphic designer, was confirmed as webmaster.
- Freshman Milton Diaz was confirmed as co-marketing head.
WGMC Vice Chair Confirmations
- SGA confirmed Ireland Parrish as vice chair of the WGMC.
Editor’s Note: The writer was unable to attend the meeting due to technical difficulties that prevented access to the meeting recording. Article is based on meeting notes.